Flood Insurance Guidelines for Your New Residence

You may need flood insurance for your new residence. This coverage will protect your home against damage caused by rising water or surface water.

Flood Zone

Research the area where your new residence is located. If you reside in a region that is considered a flood zone, you may be required to obtain flood insurance. The flood insurance coverage that you purchase can be added to your existing home insurance policy.


If you have a mortgage on your new home, you may be required to carry flood insurance. Your lender will use guidelines to determine if your home is in a flood zone. If so, you may need to purchase flood protection.

The coverage should equal the cost of rebuilding your home. The insurance will handle the repair expenses if your new residence is damaged in a flood.

Personal Preferences

Even if you are not required to obtain flood insurance, you should consider the benefits of having this type of specialized protection. Purchasing a new home is expensive. Flood protection would cover the costs you may incur during an unexpected flood. 


Assessing your home will also help you decide if flood protection would be a smart decision. During the assessment, the value of your home’s contents and structure should be examined.

If you ultimately decide to purchase a flood insurance policy, use the value of your home and your possessions to help you select a sufficient flood coverage amount.

Additional Information About Flood Protection

Contact one of our agents serving Bourbonnais, IL, to learn more about insurance policies featured through George Ryan Jr. Insurance Group Inc.