Do I Have to Change My Auto Insurance if I Move to Illinois from Another State?

When you’re making a big move to Bourbonnais, IL, or another area in Illinois, our George Ryan Jr. Insurance Group Inc. team knows how overwhelming and exciting it can be. For responsible car owners, understanding what you need to do to maintain your car insurance coverage after the move is an integral part of moving.

What is auto insurance?

Auto insurance covers liability, medical expenses on behalf of the at-fault party in a car accident, replacing a vehicle in the event of theft, repairs, and much more. Depending on the policy’s specific terms, it may cover more or less than what we’ve listed.

What level of auto insurance does Illinois state law require?

In Illinois, drivers and vehicle owners are required to have liability insurance at a minimum. We recommend getting more coverage rather than less for car owners because it’s always better to be safe than sorry. 

Do I have to change my auto insurance if I move to Illinois from out of state?

The short answer is that it depends. If your coverage does not meet Illinois’s legal requirements, you will need to change policies to match them. No matter what, you should notify your insurance company that you are moving and give them the address along with the moving date. If your insurer does not operate in Illinois, you will need to get new coverage, but it doesn’t have to be a stressful process!

If you are living in Illinois or moving to our state, call George Ryan Jr. Insurance Group Inc in Bourbonnais, IL for more information on our auto insurance coverage.